Candidates should be able to:
- define the term backup and describe the need for taking
The risks to data:
The data stored in a computer can often be far more valuable than the actual
computer equipment. Losing such data could put a company out of business.
Examples of valuable data are:
- a companyís financial records;
- customersí details;
- records of company stocks and shares;
- data collected from experiments or research.
Reducing the risks of data loss:
Making a backup of data:
- A backup of a file is a copy that can be used if the original
file/data is damaged or deleted.
- Making a backup should be a regular occurrence and ideally the backup data
should be on removable media so that it can be securely stored well away from the original data.
For pupils working on a stand-alone computer, simply making a backup copy
of their files on the hard disk will reduce the risk of losing data.
- They could also save a backup copy to a floppy disk if the file was small enough
or store larger volumes on USB pen-drive or a CD-ROM using a CD writer.
- Pupils can also email a copy of a file to themselves as an attachment so
it is backed up on the email server.
- Pupils have full permissions for files and folders in their own user area
and the 'all users' shared area. In other shared areas they only have
Read Access and they have no access to staff shared areas. Staff
have full permissions in all the shared areas.
back-up of the whole KLB school system is carried out automatically every
so the most that can be lost is one dayís work.
- Special tape drives save the
data onto magnetic tape cassettes capable of holding over 80 GB of data. This is
enough capacity to allow all the data on the serverís hard
drives to be backed up.
- A number of tapes are used in rotation and previous back-up copy
is taken away from the school premises each night in case of a disaster such as
a fire. Tapes kept on-site should be stored in a fireproof safe.
- Larger companies may have several sites with secure Internet links between
them. Each site can be used to store backups of the data stored at the other
- Some businesses have contracts with a company that specialises in data
backup and they will back up all the data at a secure remote location using a
secure Internet link.